Thread: Laptop keyboard is partially unresponsive when connected to AC (22.04)

Beans

Laptop keyboard is partially unresponsive when connected to AC (22.04)

My laptop of 4 years has recently started acting up while connected to the AC power. The middle row of my keyboard (asdf- row) is unresponsive and lagging. Keys pressed either don't show up at all, a few of the presses come huddled together after a few seconds, etc. I have tried finding the same issue online, but to no avail.

It seems to me like the problem occurs more frequently when the machine is under heavy loads, and last night I found out that the problem didn't occur (as far as I know - I spent 1.5hrs last night typing without issue and then encountered the issue as soon as I reconnected to power) when on battery power. I hope this information is enough to get going. Can someone please help me troubleshoot the problem?

Kind regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Laptop keyboard is partially unresponsive when connected to AC (22.04)

That sure sounds like a hardware problem and not a software issue. Know of anyone who has the same charger that you could try?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    That sure sounds like a hardware problem and not a software issue. Know of anyone who has the same charger that you could try?
    You mean the charger when you say there's a hardware problem, yes? Because that makes sense, considering that this is an after-market charger. It also caused some problems when I first bought it, where I had to restart some service to get it to charge. I don't remember how I fixed that issue, but it was an easy fix after 10 minutes of googling services pertaining to charging and batteries. Do you have any idea how the charger can suddenly start causing this issue?

EDIT: I don't know anyone with the same charger, but I will order an original Lenovo charger and test that.
    Last edited by skeptisk; March 22nd, 2024 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That charger converts AC to DC. It also converts either 110V or 220V down to something less than 20V. If a diode went bad, then the AC isn't being totally converted to DC. If the dropping coil inside is shorted, then it isn't correctly dropping the voltage.